I've recently started playing around with Ruby and rails under Gentoo. I've installed everything using emerge as opposed to the using ruby gems.

While I seem to be able to use my rails application, I get a puzzling error message when I try to verify it using the default generated rakefile and rake:

--
$ rails myapp
$ cd myapp

I would not expect this error message. I get the same error message if I've introduced controllers and views (as suggested in the tutorials) before running make. I've asked on both the ruby and rails mailing lists without any suggestions arising... it seems this might be peculiar to Gentoo. Do other users (more familiar than I am with Ruby, rails and rake) have the same problems? Is this a problem with my generated application, Rails - or (as the error message suggests) an error in the implementation of rake?