On 2023-12-28 15:21, Martin Vaeth wrote:
stefan11111 <stefan11111@shitposting.expert> wrote:
This got me wondering though, is there no way to fix this globally
via make.conf instead of adding patched ebuilds to my overlay?

No. Until https://bugs.gentoo.org/209653 is fixed (which did not
happen since 16 years and presumably never will), there is no
other way to fix dependencies than to copy the ebuild to some
overlay.
Interesting read.
Would be nice is there was a way to set PYTHON_COMPAT through envvars/make.conf vars like MYMESONARGS. This seems like such an easy fix too. Just set PYTHON_COMPAT to include python 3.12 and be done with it. Another thing would be if adding dev-lang/python-3.11.7 to package.provided only made portage pretend that
dev-lang/python-3.11.7 is installed, and not every version of python3.
Or if we had an easy way to patch ebuilds like we have /etc/portage/patches... I can't even make a dummy ebuild for python 3.11, since those ebuilds won't use python 3.12 even if it is installed if it isn't part of PYTHON_COMPAT(which is a reasonable choice).

Anyway, at least I don't have many ebuilds to patch to support python 3.12.
--
Linux-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-7400_CPU_@_3.00GHz

COMMON_FLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=native -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -funswitch-loops -fuse-linker-plugin -flto -fdevirtualize-at-ltrans -fno-plt -fno-semantic-interposition -fno-common -falign-functions=32 -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"

USE="-* git verify-sig rsync-verify man alsa X grub ssl ipv6 lto libressl olde-gentoo asm native-symlinks threads jit jumbo-build minimal strip system-man"

INSTALL_MASK="/etc/systemd /lib/systemd /usr/lib/systemd /usr/lib/modules-load.d /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d *tmpfiles* /var/lib/dbus /lib/udev /usr/share/icons /usr/share/applications /usr/share/gtk-3.0/emoji /usr/lib64/palemoon/gtk2"