On 1/7/24 12:35, Michael Cook wrote:
On 1/7/24 12:24, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
Greetings,

during my last routine upgrade  package "media-video/vlc" installed new
dependency  "media-libs/libmpg123".   However,  after installation "eix"
did not list the new package, while "eix-installed" did:

    # eix-update --quiet
    # env -i eix | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
    [I] app-portage/eix
    # env -i eix-installed all | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
    app-portage/eix-0.36.7
    media-libs/libmpg123-1.32.3-r1
    #

Are there any "eix" gurus out there  who can tell me  how to trick "eix"
into listing _all_ packages?

Sincerely,
   Rainer

Well the package in question is called media-sound/mpg123-base, so there's that. Also, not sure why you would want to grep the output of eix like that. eix -# 'app-portage/eix|media-sound/mpg123-base' will give you very similar output, but there are other output options that will give other output that might be more desirable for you.

I do have to follow up on this, the package was renamed, you probably need to run an update with --changed-deps passed and it will get back into a good state. eix isn't finding the package because it doesn't exist anymore.