On 2024-02-17, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Today's routine update says:
>>
>>     Re-run grub-install to update installed boot code!
>>
>> Is "sudo grub-install" really all I have to do?  [...]
>>
>> Or do I have to run grub-install with all the same options that
>> were originally used to install grub?
>
> I been wondering the same since I saw this posted on -dev.  The news
> item seems to mention the EFI booting but I'm sure us legacy booting
> users need to do the same.  At this point, I may skip updating grub
> this week until I know exactly what I'm supposed to do as well.  I'd
> think we need to reinstall like when we first did our install but
> not sure.  :/

That was my guess. I should have recorded the options originally
passed to grub-install. Now that I have BIOS boot partitions (instead
of using embedded blocklists) on all my machines, reinstalling grub
should be trivial. I think all I have to do is tell grub-install the
boot device.

> It would suck to have a unbootable system.

More than once I've had to boot from either systemrescuecd or minimal
gentoo install ISO so I could re-install (or re-configure) grub after
someting gets messed up. It's not difficult, but it is annoying.

--
Grant