On 2024-02-22, Wol <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> On 22/02/2024 19:17, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> However, the choice to install bootloaders in partitions instead of
>> the MBR has been removed from most (all?) of the common installers.
>> This forces me to jump through hoops when installing a new Linux
>> distro:
>
> File a bug!

LOL, good one! As if a normal person filing a bug with RedHat or
Ubuntu actually accomplishes anything.  I'll tell them to make systemd
optional while I'm at it.

> If that's true, it basically borks any sort of dual boot, unusual disk
> layout, whatever.

Yep, it does. The answer from <distro> is:

   You should really just (shut up and) install <distro>'s (obviously
   superior) bootloader in the MBR.  It will auto-detect (some of) the
   other already installed (obviously inferior) OSes, and will add
   (some subset of) them to the boot menu that will (sometimes) allow
   you to boot them (maybe -- if you kneel, bow your head and ask
   nicely).

> Last time I installed SUSE, it trashed my boot totally because it
> didn't recognise my disk stack, failed to load necessary drivers,
> and worse trashed my gentoo boot too...
>
> Cue one big rescue job to get the system up and working again. At
> least it was only the boot that was trashed.

I've been reading up on UEFI, and it doesn't seem to be any
better. People complain about distro's stomping on each other's files
in the ESP partiton and multiple distro's using the same name in the
boot slots stored in NVM. And then the boot choice order changes
(though it may not be apparent to the naked eye) when one of the
distros decides to update/reinstall its boot stuff.

--
Grant