On Monday 07 November 2005 15:22, Qian Qiao wrote:

> > > They don't look that much.
> >
> > Well, I always thought that using the words like "please" is a sign
> > of respect to others. On the other side, some of replies included
> > phrases like "...it bloody matters!..." or "how the hell would we
> > know...!" or "Jarry needs variable BRAVE_YET_DUMB=1". Although
> > such words do not sound good to me, I would never dare to say their
> > authors are arrogant...
>
> You are just brave and dumb. Take a look at how many people explained
> or attempted to explain why running upgrades as cron jobs is a dumb
> thing do to, and you simply neglected them. To make things worse, you
> stated: "I prefer rather breaking some dependencies in my system, over
> leaving some security hole in it". Which is plain bs.
At the risk of of adding to the flames here, perhaps an example is in
order.... I once worked as a sysadmin for a guy who firmly believed in
security.  To prevent any security holes from lingering, he did an apt-get
update out of cron every friday night....on production servers (we were
running debian).  The instance of us having to spend monday fixing what broke
friday was about 10%.  Unacceptable on a server.  I don't even do that on my
test systems.

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department