Michael wrote:
> On Monday, 29 April 2024 21:28:35 BST Dale wrote:
>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>> There's a worse aspect: you have to undersand what you're doing. Or you
>>> can
>>> just tell your firewall not to allow any IPv6 packets in or out at all.
>> When I said a lot of typing, I was thinking about if one has to use IPv6
>> to ssh into a rig.  As it is here, ssh dale@10.0.0.6 is it.  Now replace
>> that IP with a IPv6 address.  I'm hoping for a copy and paste option or
>> tab completion would be nice.  Let's not even get into the increased
>> odds of a typo.  After all, one wrong character, no worky.  :/
>>
>> Given that we running out of IPv4 tho, IPv6 it is.  Something had to
>> change.  I guess IPv6 was the best long term option.  Still, gonna be a
>> head scratcher for some of us.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> If we're talking about connecting regularly to the same IP you can set it up
> as an alias in your ~/.ssh/config and not have to invoke IP addresses on the
> CLI at all.

I'd likely just add it to the host file thing and then type in the
name.  Right now it is NAS or NAS2.  Pretty short.

While I'm sure whoever came up with IPv6 tried to keep it simple, I
suspect they also wanted to make the newer method work long term.  Quite
often, long term solutions get complicated.  If that is the case, it
explains a lot.  10.0.0.6 is way simple.  fe80::1eef:2ca0:c378:2eec is
anything but simple.  Now try being a admin and having to remember a few
dozen of those.  ROFL  Poor thang.  It's a good thing there are options
like your alias one or the hosts file one.  We'd have a lot of bald
people running around.  Admins and some other geeky types would be
pulling out their hair.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  the perl cleaner thing fixed the whole problem.  Everything is as
it should be, I think.