Don't know whether this is even relevant.  I was pulling my hair out trying to get the nvidia driver ("nvidia") working with kernel 2.6.12 for about three weeks.  It worked ok with nv, but with nvidia it gave the same message you got.  I was using the same nvidia-kernel version you are.  I moved to kernel 2.6.13, and decided to run ~amd64 (what the heck).  Nvidia kernel v. 7676 installed neatly and worked.

I don't recommend it, necessarily.  It worked for me, but there seem to be many variables that can cause that message.

Alan

On 11/8/05, Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:21, David Corbin wrote:
> On Sunday 06 November 2005 11:13 pm, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > Philip Webb wrote:
> > > Has anyone got Nvidia to work with Kernel 2.6.14 ?
> >
> > Yup. In /etc/conf.d/local.start
> >
> > /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh
> >
> > or
> >
> > mknod /dev/nvidia0 c 195 0
> > mknod /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255
>
> This doesn't work for me.  If I have the nvidia FB compiled in, then nvidia
> module fails to load long before local.start seems to be called.

which is totally logical.

You can not have two absolutly different drivers fight over the same piece of
hardware. AFAIR it is even part of the README.

But some people choose not to read it or think, but complain instead of it.