On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 6:38 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I created a new link to slot 4.  The network came up.  So,
> basically, it changed names as you suggested. I thought the purpose of
> the enp* names was that they are consistent.  Adding or removing cards
> wouldn't change the names of cards, like network cards.

Nope, persistent names are only persistent as long as there are no
hardware changes.

Under the old system if you had 10 NICs on a host, on any reboot some
of them could change names, at least in theory.  Under the new system
if you have 10 NICs on one host and don't touch the hardware, the
names will never change.

Under the old system if you had 1 NIC in a host, the name would never
change even if the hardware did change.  Under the new system if you
have 1 NIC in a host, the name could change if the hardware changes.

It is basically a tradeoff, which makes life much better if you have
multiple NICs, and marginally worse if you have only one.  However,
hardware changes than can cause a name change are probably rare, and
if you have only one NIC then ideally your network manager can just
use wildcards to not care so much about the name.  I usually stick e*
in my networkd config for the device name on single-NIC hosts.  If you
have multiple NICs then I maybe there is a better way to go about it -
maybe there is a network manager that can use more data from the NIC
itself to track them.

--
Rich