On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:30:28 -0600
kashani wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
> > I read your message and was surprised at this. Last time I read the
> > handbooks the Handbook gave stage 1/2/3 options and the 2005.1
> > handbook stuck to stage 3.  (Talking x86 here, I have never done an
> > instal on other architectures).
> >
> > Now, like you, I read this in the Handbook:
> >
> > "Make sure you download a stage3 tarball - installations using a
> > stage1 or stage2 tarball are not supported anymore."
> >
> > WTF? When did this happen?
> >

> About a week or two ago and was heavily discussed on gentoo-doc IIRC.
> Here's a rough summary.
>
> stage1 is the cause of a number of circular dependency issues, it takes
> forever, the engineering and release team spends too much time on it,
> and the average Gentoo users get no benefit from doing a stage1 over a
> stage3. In order to get any benefit from stage1 you must edit the boot
> strap scripts in some way. Editting the boot strap scripts is not
> documented and not something general users should be mucking around in
> so we're going to drop everything, but stage3 on the CD.
>
> Or at least that was my interpretation. I stopped paying attention
> around this point, but there was talk of keeping a stage1 for devs or
> people who need it... though I don't think exactly what or where was
> ever fully hashed out.
>
> kashani

Thanks for the info.

I have only used stage 1 once, and it was for an i586 machine (FYI an
epia eden (http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Eden_C3.2FEzra_.28Via_EPIA.29)

This is because there weren't stage 3's available for i586, so I had to
compile the lot from stage 1 (at least as i read the instructions at
that point).

Frankly I think that a stage 3 is ok 99% of the time, I am just
surprised to see gentoo limiting choices, even for the other 1%.
I am also surprised that it wasn't given wider publicity in the lead up
to the change - this sort of thing should be referred to this list IMHO. This
list is high enough volume without having to sub to gentoo-doc as
well to pick up important changes.