I have a USB memory stick and an external USB box with an IDE disk.
I configured udev to assign device names to both items, or so I thought.
The external box is plugged, the memory stick isn't.
The problem is: the device for the box is not created, and the memstick
device exists but represents the box, not the stick. I read
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#identify-sysfs
and
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Flash-Memory-HOWTO.html

What else should I do?

The gory details:

        $ ls /etc/udev/rules.d/
        40-my.rules  40-my.rules~  50-udev.rules

        $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/40-my.rules
        BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="PLEXTOR ", SYSFS_model="PlexFlash-2*",
NAME="plextor_memstick%n"
        BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="Maxtor 6 ", SYSFS_model="L250R0*",
NAME="external_hd%n"

I tried also SYSFS_vendor instead of SYSFS{vendor} ...

        $ mount -t auto /dev/plextor_memstick1 /mnt/maxtor/
        $ ls /mnt/maxtor/
        lost+found

--
Jorge Almeida