At Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:23:46 +0000 Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:03:18 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>    Would you mind sharing what changes you made to your CFLAGS to get
>> the equivalent of a Stage 1 install?
>
> When installing a stage 3 you are using packages compiled with the
> default compiler and USE flags. All I did was set them up as I wanted and
> rebuilt everything with emerge -e world. The specific change I made in
> this case was changing -mcpu to G4 and adding -fomit-frame-pointer, which
> may be unnecessary. But that's not relevant, the emerge -e world is.

What about -march ?  At one point that was something that you weren't
supposed to change unless using stage1.  If one changes -march after
stage3, are we supposed to first run bootstrap.sh before emerge -e ?

Although I always did stage1 installs, I must confess to once getting
into trouble by changing USE flags "too early".  This taught me the
advantage of first going stage1-->stage2-->stage3 with the std USE
flags and only then changing USE flags.  I realize that in that case
one might as well start with stage3 (assuming you can change -march).

thanks,
allan