Jason Ausmus schreef:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Alexander Skwar
>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, November 20,
>> 2005 3:48 AM To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org Subject: Re:
>> [gentoo-user] how to create a pgp signature
>>
>> You're answer was to a different question.
>

> Whose answer was to a different question?
>

>> Ralph Slooten schrieb:
>>

>>> gpg --gen-key
>>
>> Wrong.

>> That's the question.
>

> Was the answer Ralph gave not correct?  I don't understand what
> you're trying to say...
>

>> Alexander Skwar
>>
>> Posting out-of-order makes it easy to follow context.

Alexander may have been complaining about the top-posting, or maybe the
OP was not completely clear in the question, or maybe Ralph
misunderstood the difference between a /key pair/ and a /signature/:

gpg --help

Syntax: gpg [options] [files]
sign, check, encrypt or decrypt
default operation depends on the input data

Commands:

==> -s, --sign [file]             make a signature
     --clearsign [file]        make a clear text signature
 -b, --detach-sign             make a detached signature
 -e, --encrypt                 encrypt data
 -c, --symmetric               encryption only with symmetric cipher
 -d, --decrypt                 decrypt data (default)
     --verify                  verify a signature
     --list-keys               list keys
     --list-sigs               list keys and signatures
     --check-sigs              list and check key signatures
     --fingerprint             list keys and fingerprints
 -K, --list-secret-keys        list secret keys
==>     --gen-key                 generate a new key pair
     --delete-keys             remove keys from the public keyring
     --delete-secret-keys      remove keys from the secret keyring
     --sign-key                sign a key

So if the question really does relate to creating a signature, Ralph was
wrong. If the question was wrong, and a key pair needs to be generated
in order to sign something, then Ralph was right.

However, other than pointing this out by the simple expedient of
confusing everyone further, Alexander's reply was less than helpful,
since it neither pointed out why the answer given was presumably not
correct, or provided a correct answer if the answer given was in fact
not correct.

Awaiting more data in order to answer /your/ question, Jason (can not
compute).....

.... but everybody could just read the man page and work it out for
themselves, of course :) .

Holly