Actually, as someone who uses wireless across a number of nets, wireless
on gentoo sucks hugely.

Was at a presentation the other day and saw an Ubutu user just walk in,
a couple of quick commands and he had connected - after much work I
still cant do that to a particular no-encryption net.  I am hoping the
last wpa_supplicant version I have installed will make the difference -
manual iwconfig does work by the way, just not via the gentoo files!

A mess of config files
(/etc/conf.d/wireless, /etc/conf.d/net, /etc/wpa_supplicant, ...),
different versions of software work in only some combinations - only
0.4.5 (~x86) will work with 2.6.14, some other versions will do WPA_PSK,
but not no encryption.- - I suspect the gentoo config design is the main
stumbling block.

I realise wireless is complicated (read the above files for instance,
but gentoo has complicated things further (try and work out which of the
above files a particular variable will work ... note that for
wpa_supplicant, not all permutations are listed in the otherwise
comprehensive instructions)

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>