On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Richard Fish wrote:

> On 11/23/05, Jorge Almeida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > this time. This is just totally unreliable. I guess I'll boot from
> > KNOPPIX, to see whether it may be a kernel problem...
>
> Yes, do that.  And if it works I guess you will need to start
> comparing the Knoppix kernel configuration to yours.  Maybe your
> hardware requires ACPI and/or IO-APIC support to function
> correctly...I don't know.

ACPI didn't seem to change anything. But I did reformat the key with
fdisk, making a new empty DOS partition table and then making a
partition and fs following your instructions. It seems to be OK now---at
least  both devices are recognized when I insert the key (meaning: no
need to insert it twice). Maybe the problem was with the original
partition table (and zeroing the first block didn't fix it...).

Thank you for all your support.

Jorge