Neil Bothwick schreef:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:49:04 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
>

>> Fortunately, I noticed that it was going to happen before the
>> emerge proceeded (I was getting a new kernel, and upgrading the
>> ati-drivers package, which I know must compile against a configured
>>  kernel), so I just disabled the 'symlink' USE flag for the new,
>> about-to-be-downloaded kernel *only* (and learned that you can
>> manage specific versions of an app in /etc/portage/package.use),
>

> Couldn't you have achieved the same with less effort with
>
> USE="-symlink" emerge world -blah
>
> ?

Yes (qualified yes), but

1) I'm training myself out of changing USE flags on the command line
(though it would have been OK in this case, the reason I have a general
policy is to keep to it, not except it :-) )

2) I learned something (because I don't want to use USE= on the command
line, I "had to" use package.use, which I didn't know up to that moment
allowed specification of package versions. But I found that

=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r5 -symlink

is actually valid, which is useful information, enabling me to turn the
USE flag off for just this one emerge, without disturbing later kernels
for which I want to keep the 'symlink' flag default enabled.

Since this situation is not terribly likely to occur again-- an upgrade
to the ati-drivers being offered in the same operation as a new kernel,
given that the ati-drivers don't update that terribly often, and on a
schedule, and since I often mask shiny-new kernels because the
ati-drivers are generally unlikely to compile against them lately--
knowing that a 'oneshot mask' is possible in package.use is handy).

So yes, it would have been easier to do it the way you say, but I find
taking unexpected opportunities to explore the capabilities of Portage
more valuable than doing things the easy way (sometimes).

Holly