Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> There was a note at the end of the emerge:
>
>  * You might want to run:
>  * "emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.16-r2"
>  * if this is a new install.
>
> did you do this?

(First I've backed of 5.16 since I couldn't even start it from:
  /etc/init.d/mysql
Unemerged and reemerged 5.15)

Gack, no, I missed that completely.

So backing up here I ran that and it errors out because apparently a
db was actually built in all my tinkering so rm -rf /var/lib/mysql

(in the current case 5.0.15
And rerun emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.15

It now works and queries for a password which I gave it.  There were a
large pile of warning about being `Unable to load' /usr/share/zoninfo
stuff <Snipped in the output below>

I don't understand the warnings about supplying a password since the
first step is to do that.... trying the suggested commands:
  /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
  /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h reader password 'new-password'
Fail like this
 /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'hpreader'
 error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Whats this all about?

OUTPUT of emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.15

See the manual for more instructions.
emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.15
Configuring pkg...

 * MySQL DATADIR is /var/lib/mysql
 * Creating the mysql database and setting proper
 * permissions on it...
 * Insert a password for the mysql 'root' user
 * Avoid ["'\_%] characters in the password

 * Check the password

Installing all prepared tables
Fill help tables

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h reader password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd /usr ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench' directory:
cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

[...] snipped warnings leaving only one sample:
Warning: Unable to load '//usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Riyadh87' as time zone.
Skipping it.
[...]
 * done