On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:48:34 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| It surprises me that release engineering starts with a stage1 to get a
| stage3 and then we use this stage3 to build a stage1.  I mention this
| only out of curiosity; there is a stage3 with my desired CHOST and I
| expect to do all future installs starting with stage3 (I formerly used
| stage1).

Well... You need a reasonably complete system to build a toolchain,
hence the stage 3 seed. Building a toolchain with a different CHOST is
pretty close to cross-compiling, so the only way you can do it safely
is to start from scratch, hence building up from a stage 1.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Supreme Lord Gerbil Wrangler)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm