On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:32:58 +0000 (UTC)
James wrote:

> Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
>
> > > *  net-analyzer/jffnms
> > >       Latest version available: 0.8.2
> > >       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
>
> > net-analyzer/jffnms is not part of the official portage tree, nor is
> > it in the online package database.  So there are only two ways this
> > ebuild exist:
>
> > 1. It was previously a part of portage, and has since been removed, in
> > which case the next emerge --sync will end up removing it from your
> > portage tree.
>
> bummer.
>
> > 2. You installed an ebuild manually in either the portage tree or
> > portage overlay.
>
> Nope.
>
> > Are there any copyright or CVS comments at the top of
> > /usr/portage/net-analyzer/jffnms/jffnms-0.8.2.ebuild?
>
> dunno, the dir does not exist, yet an emerge sync
> shows the package. The system was last sync'd on monday
> the 21st of Nov.
>
> How do I retreive the old ebuilds, so I can keep working on the
> ebuild or use it as a basis to finish the ebuild package for
> jffnms?
>
> Bugzilla 92501  was the original request.

By the look of the CVS tree this ebuild has NEVER been in portage. How
it got on your system can only be explained by you.

If you think it is in portage on some of your systems you can verify by
looking in the directory

ls /usr/portage/net-analyzer/jffnms/

If you want to build it why don't you download the ebuild from the
bugzilla site and put it in your overlay? The overlay process is well
documented, I am not going to burden this list with yet another
explanation.

> I wonder why it wass abandoned before it was ever finished?

It doesn't look abandoned to me, the last post was on 19 October 2005,
when a new version of the ebuild was posted.

Lots of new evuilds get posted to bugzilla, not as many ever come out
the other end.

Once you have tested it don't forget to go back to the bug and report
back on your experience.