On 11/28/05, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > You mean /etc/nsswitch.conf?
> >
> > I probably do. Is /etc/host.conf still of any use?
>
> Actually, I'm not sure.  I've always edited nsswitch.conf to get it to
> do what I want, with good results.
>
> I see with strace that when I ping <somehost>, both nsswitch.conf and
> host.conf are opened.  The man pages don't reveal anything about their
> relationship, so I guess I'll have to take a look at the glibc sources
> tonight.

As close as I can tell from reading the code (which is to say, I am
making an only slightly educated guess), the 'order' keyword in
host.conf is pretty much ignored by current glibc versions.  Host.conf
is only consulted by the libnss_files.so module, and then only for the
'multi' option.  The order in nsswitch.conf is authoritative.

This seems to be confirmed by a few "strace ping" attempts with
various configurations.

-Richard