> This means the kernel cannot mount your root
> partition (/dev/sda6 IS the
> correct setting for root). Either your root
> partitions's filesystem is
> not compiled into your kernel or you have not added
> support for your SATA
> controller. These must be compiled into the kernel,

I realize that.

> not as modules. You
> need
>
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y

Yes, I got that one.

> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_YOURCONTROLLER=y

NV_SATA worked(although SIL_SATA didn't, despite
having a Sil3114 controller) before, but is not among
the options(nor, for that matter, SIL_SATA) in
menuconfig for this kernel. Is there a patch, I
require?

More paradox: the kernel among the sources on the CD
is 2.6.12-r6, exactly the same as the one I had before
on the Maxtor IDE, upgraded using emerge about a month
and a half ago!