Thank you Holly,

[snip]

> What I see is:
>
> I assume the printer is connected to the server--- but the server only
> allows connections from localhost (itself), and 192.168.0.2.

Yes on all counts.

> If 192.168.0.2 is not the network IP address of the client (host 1),
> then the connection is denied.

192.168.0.2 is the LAN address of the client (host 1).

> If the printer is connected to host 1... well, that only allows
> connections from localhost (itself). Connections from everywhere else
> are refused.

The printer is physically connected to host 2 which acts as the server
with IP address 102.168.0.3

> So what I would suggest is that the server allow connections from the
> network as a whole, or the specific network IPs of the
> various networked
> clients.

[snip]

> So if you have more than one machine on the network, you
> might consider
> changing the "Allow From" statements to read something like
>
>  Allow From 192.168.0.*

Each machine has only one NIC which connects them to the
router/LAN/Internet.  The router (netgear ADSL thingy) is 192.168.0.1
and acts both as the Internet gateway and the DNS for the machines on
the LAN.  I would rather allow access to explicit IP addresses, in this
case 192.168.0.2 which is the client.

Thanks for the heads up on the "HostNameLookups On".  I'll try it
tonight - although setting the IP address would remove one more thing
for me to get wrong.  ;-)
--
Regards,
Mick