On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:44:32PM -0500, Sean Lester wrote:
> Greetings,
>      I am "lucky" enough to have an ISP that blocks outbound port 25
> traffic.  Fortunately, inbound is wide open.  However, I am not able to
> configure Postfix 2.1.5 to successfully use my ISP mail server as a
> relayhost.  I get a reply in my logs that states:
>
> warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
> Authentication failed: cannot SASL authenticate to server
> smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com[68.142.229.41]: no mechanism available

While whatever you posted in terms of config files looked correct, I
have two quick questions:

 1) What did you set as relayhost?
 2) Does your provider support SSL or TLS?

I ask because:
[01:54 PM]wwong ~ $ nmap 68.142.229.41

Starting nmap 3.83.DC13 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at
Interesting ports on smtp1-a.sbc.mail.vip.re2.yahoo.com
(68.142.229.41):
(The 1665 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
PORT    STATE SERVICE
80/tcp  open  http
587/tcp open  submission

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 48.081 seconds

shows that it uses TCP 587 for mail submission as defined in RFC2476,
which is slated to replace TCP 25, and uses ESMTP. You might need to
set relayhost=smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com:587 (I am not sure since my
mail providers have always only used TLS on port 25 or SSL on port
465).

HTH

ARTHUR  What is an Algolian Zylatburger anyway?
FORD    They're a kind of meatburger made from the most
unpleasant parts
        of a creature well known for its total lack of any
pleasant
        parts.
ARTHUR  So you mean that the Universe does actually end not
with a bang
        but with a Wimpy?

- Cut dialogue from Fit the Fifth.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 19 days, 11:16