On 12/5/05, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I 'emerge sync' and 'emerge -DuN world' daily so why did 'emerge -e
> system' and 'emerge -e world' (for the GCC upgrade) each come up with
> a bunch of etc files to be updated via etc-update?
>
> - Grant

Because emerge -e re-installs every package on your system it also
wants to re-install the config files. If you are fairly confident that
you don't need these changes (as most of them will want to revert your
config file back to the original) you can run etc-update letting it
merge trivial changes and then tell it to keep all the files as is,
discarding the updates.

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux takes junk and turns it into something useful.
Windows takes something useful and turns it into junk.