Well, I have been reading your frustration in this thread.  May I ask
something?  Have you tried this as another user, even if you have to add
one, which may work best?  If it works as the new user, then it is
something specific to that user and may be a config in the /home/<user>
directory.  If it does the same then it is a system wide problem,
something you did as root most likely.

I'm not real sure what the heck you are doing but if it is not a really
big install, I would be willing to install the program on my rig and see
what it does here.  If it works, I would email you my configs for you to
try on yours.  Let me know what you think.  You would of course let me
know what commands to type in right?  You would be leading the blind on
this end.  Hey, I may need some help one day.  I screw up something
pretty regular now.  O_O  I can fix it sometimes too.

I'm on dial-up so if it is big, it may take to long to download and install.

Dale
:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.