On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 05:34:19 -0600, Dale wrote:

> >Why not let make do the whole job and add "make install"? That installs
> >the kernel, makes the appropriate symlinks to the new and previous
> >kernel and backs up your config.

> Because I did that once and it made a mess.  I decided I can do it
> better than it can.  It copied a whole bunch of crap over.  Maybe it was
> a bug or something.  I dunno.

Maybe. I know I've been doing it that way for a couple of years, on
several boxes, without a problem. It should only copy the kernel,
System.map and config to /boot, and make the necessary symlinks to save
altering grub.conf. I believe it also runs lilo if necessary, but I
don't use lilo so I can't confirm that.

--
Neil Bothwick

 Q:  How does a Zen Master order a hot dog?