On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:17:28PM -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Michael George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Already checked that.  The root filesystem does contain /dev/null and
> > /dev/console are there.  However, something is obviously breaking when
> > udev mounts the /dev system and then those devices are no longer
> > there...
>
> Hmm, take a look at the rules files in /etc/udev/rules.d, and see if
> there is any obvious corruption there.  Same thing with
> /etc/udev/permissions.d/.
>
> At this point, you might have to do something drastic:
>
> rm -rvf /etc/udev && emerge --oneshot udev

I'd like to do that, but the problem is that an emerge of udev cannot
complete.  Doesn't get started as a matter of fact.  I'm suspecting
corruption in the FS, but it's quite weird that I can emerge some things
just fine, btu others never get past the >>>>>>>>>>emerge message...

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
        Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.