On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 05:28:09PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 03:26:12AM -0500, Willie Wong wrote
>
> > from 'man tty'
> >
> >    tty - print the file name of the terminal connected to standard input
>
>   Thanks.  That simplifies things a bit, but it also prefixes with
> "/dev/", so the revised script goes like so...
>
> # If running interactively, then:
> if [ "$PS1" ]; then
>
> # Set up a separate HISTFILE, depending on which tty we logged in
> # from.  Convert slashes in tty names (e.g. "pts/0") into underscores.
> mytty=`tty | sed "s/\/dev\///
> sx/x_xg"`
> export HISTFILE="${HOME}/.history_${mytty}"

Personally, I would've gone with creating a directory
~/.history-bash
and use

export HISTFILE="${HOME}/.history-bash/`tty | cut -c 6-`"

it will help tidy up somewhat the root of your home directory.

It would also make history searching a tad confusing... AFAIK, Bash
loads the history on startup from HISTFILE. So... suppose you issued a
long command in pts4. You then closed all the ptses. Then you start up
another one. Well, it happens to be pts1... then even ctrl-r will not
help you find the really long command you typed in pts4.

"`Er, hey Earthman...'
`Arthur,' said Arthur.
`Yeah, could you just sort of keep this robot with you and
guard this end of the passageway. OK?'
`Guard?' said Arthur. `What from? You just said there's no
one here.'
`Yeah, well, just for safety, OK?' said Zaphod.
`Whose? Yours or mine?'"

- Arthur drawing the short straw on Magrathea.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 25 days, 16:08