On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:43:45 -0500
fire-eyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hell, I am running into some very irritating problems when trying to use
> newer nvidia drivers.

The newer Nvidia drivers have a tighter spec on speeds.  They also now need
mode lines for, as I recall, resolutions above 1280x1024.

Also, as your monitor is one of those that has a flakey EDID (from reading your
log),
any edid setting will get ignored.

The drivers do work, in most cases[1].  I'm running at 1920x1200 on 8174-r1.
But
that is with a mode line.  I still get occasional system hangs on my 2P amd64
system
while playing ut2004.  But I think that may have to do with threads and audio.

Bob

[1] An SGI FP1600SW with an Nvidia 6xxx card at 1600x1024 is a case where none
     of the drivers work, even with mode lines.
-