> El Domingo, 11 de Diciembre de 2005 11:42, C. Beamer escribió:
> > My issue is this:  The computer powered off in the middle of the install
> > of xorg-x11.  This has happened a couple of times.  I haven't been
> > having problems with the laptop, so I'm pretty sure the issue has
> > something to do with power management since I built power management
> > into the kernel, but didn't emerge acpid.  Anyway, since the emerge of
> > xorg-x11 has bombed a couple of times, is there anything that I should
> > do in the way of clean up before trying to emerge it again?
> > Colleen

> On 2005-12-11 17:32:46 +0100 (Sun, Dec), Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> I can't find any sense at that issue: I can't understand what's the reason
> that make your computer turn off in a compilation.
>
> Well... I'm afraid of temperature. I hope that's not the reason, but is the
> first thing that came to my mind. Maybe in your laptop (I've an Amilo Fujitsu
> Siemens, and when compiling OO or KDE it is really hot), when it reachs some
> temperature it turns off because of security reasons.
>
> I cannot find any other reason.

I vote for temperature issues too. That is my experience with some
Aristo laptop - it get very hot very easily and powers off when
temperature exceeds 85 C.

You may try to run something like this while emerging:
# while sleep 5 ; do cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature >>
  /tmp/temper ; done &

and hope that part of that file will survive the poweroff - you will see
whether temperature was raising before end.

Or you may put something like:
 ... do cat /proc/acp..... | tee -a /tmp/temper ; done &
in background in the session in which emerge runs and observe the
temperature between compilation lines.

The exact path to temperature file may differ, it will be something like
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature - and it will exist only if your
kernel has necessary drivers compiled (or modules inserted).

The /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperture file has about 30 bytes,
35 thousands of copies makes 1MB file, so you loop may run for 9
hours if storing one copy every second or 48 hours if appending one copy
every 5 seconds.

HTH.