On 12/12/05, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm still trying to figure out what exactly coldplug does.  Is it a
> replacement for /etc/modules.autoload.d ?

Coldplug scans system busses, looking for hardware, and attempting to
load any modules available for that hardware.  It does this by running
the scripts /etc/hotplug/*.rc.

So for example /etc/hotplug/pci.rc scans /sys/bus/pci/devices, looking
for devices.  For each device it finds, it looks at
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.pcimap to see if there is a module
available for that device.  If there is, the script tries to load it.

So yes, there is some overlap with /etc/modules.autoload.d/, because
you can load these drivers there.  The difference is that coldplug is
limited to just hardware device drivers.  Other drivers (like security
drivers, io schedulers, or power management drivers) cannot be loaded
this way, so you have to use the modules.autoload.d/ method.

-Richard