Zhang Weiwu wrote:

2 better be able to auto-start and auto-stop. E.g. when people are
talking on the phone, start a track and save a speex file; when people
stop talking (silence), stop recording and be ready to start recording
the next track. Better one tracker per file;

Any suggestions? Looks audacity is a good option, last year I used it a
while, but I think it is not perfect (for lack of requirement 2), but
don't know its current status.

I would recomend audacity as a start. I know it doesn't do auto-star auto-stop. I'm not sure you'll find that. You can setup a old fashioned line tap to do just that, but it sounds like you'd rather record digitally. My sugestion is that if you can find a setting in audacity that can record your work day, you can then export multi and get one file per conversation.