[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The advantage of daemon mode here is that I neither end up with a huge
polling delay nor any risk of a collision where two processes attempt
to access the same POP account at the same time (which I'd expect to
cause aggravation.)
Running from cron will not cause the later, since fetchmail will not run with
an instance already running.
Ah, ha - I hadn't realised... sounds reasonable to me. But... I suppose this would mean I loose my minute's gap between connections and end up doing a fixed delay between connection initiations... I suppose that wouldn't be the end of the world... if it meant I eliminated the potential for locking-up... but I'm now wary that if one invocation blocks (as seems to have happened to my fetchmail daemon) then this would block successive cron invoked fetchmail processes too...

I can give it a try but, as I don't know how to reproduce the fault, I won't be able to test the idea in any meaningful way.