Christoph Eckert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> As we are at it: I'm used to switch to another virtual console and doing
> a startx -- :1 as a different user to start a second KDE session for
> testing purposes. Unfortunately this still starts KDE 3.3 instead of
> 3.4.
>
> I opened startx in vi but to be honest I'm not a master in reading
> complex shell scripts.

Wrong script to edit..
Make sure the test user has a file named .xinitrc in home directory
that has something like this in it:

cat /home/otherU/.xinitrc

## start .xinitrc

exec /usr/kde/3.4/bin/startkde

## end .xinitrc

Or whatever version you need to run.  You may need to find the exact
location of the `startkde' script in each version directory structure.
I doubt it is any different for each version but may as well make
sure:

  find /usr/kde -naem 'startkde'

will get you that information.  Then insert the absolute path to
startkde in whatever version you want to test.