On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:18:16 -0800 (PST)
maxim wexler wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I notice emerge ogg-vorbis insists on taking cups
> along with it. emerge info reveals cups flag _is_
> being used. But why use it then? What does printing
> have to do with playing ogg files. Why not go through
> the flags and install everything they point to? That
> would make as much sense as installing printer drivers
> when audio tools were called for. I've run emerge lots
> of times on the present OS and cups was never
> requested until now. Oh, and another thing: I don't
> have cups in my make.conf. Doesn't make.conf override
> the defaults?

There doesn't appear to be a package named ogg-vorbis on my system, or
in portage:

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ogg-vorbis

So it makes your question a little difficult to answer.

However you can tarce dependencies by use of the --tree or -t switch for
emerge:

emerge -pvt ogg-vorbis

might tell you what is dragging in cups. (well it would if there were
such a package). Then you can read the ebuild of the package that is
dependent on cups top find out why.

USE flags are inherited from a number of places, all cumulative, with
make.conf only being your preferences. Your profile governs what is
added before make.conf adds its bits.