On Dec 12, 2005, at 6:27 pm, Peper wrote:

Why?  If they really are LVM physical volumes, you can create a single
(or modify an existing) volume group span both, and create or grow
logical volumes without regards to the size of the individual
partitions.
Just for order. I have 3 LVM partitions only beacause i've cleaned my disk off
winshit in stages.

I think the only way to do this is to add a second hard-drive to the volume group, move data off the physical volumes of the 3 partitions, use `parted` or `cfdisk` to delete the 3 partitions & create a new one, then add it back to the volume group & migrate all the data off the new disk.... but it would be unusual for anyone to bother to do so (if you're not worried about uptime you could prolly just copy the data off & back on again). The whole point of LVM is to have the sort of convenience that you've experienced during your removal of Windows from those partitions

I forgot the link when I just sent this message before - I think this is the right section of the HOWTO:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html

And maybe one more thing: wouldn't it minimize logical volumes fragmentation?

Interesting question. I would think that the abstraction layer of LVM in itself introduces a performance hit, but would guess it's quite small. I think the most people using LVM are prepared to sacrifice a little performance for its convenience.

Stroller.