On 12/15/05, Doug Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After a lot of research I have decided to go with Gentoo, and I think I have
> all the install issues ironed out. My main concern is with compatiblity
> issues and my mobo. I have read a ton of horror stories, and I want to make
> sure I am prepared for any issues that could arise when I install the OS. I
> am also concerned mith the onboard raid controller and onboard lan.  I plan
> on setting up RAID 0+1. My mobo is a DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D.  Any help
> would be much appreciated.

If you are thinking SATA RAID, think twice.  Nvidia doesn't provide
the necessary hardware specs to make this work.  According to the
kernel maintainer for SATA support, nvidia is the _only_ major
manufacturer that refuses to release the specs.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20050904_324.html#3

NVidia does provide a proprietary driver on their web site that should
enable full support in linux, but I haven't tried it yet.

However, there is no problem using the software RAID in Linux for this.

-Richard