Uwe Thiem <uwix <at> iway.na> writes:

> I can only agree on each single point.
> So encoding is rather expensive.

Well, I have a solution for this. openmosix:
http://openmosix.snarc.org/
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/

I'm just a little timid to jump in now, as I'm drowning
with current obligations, promises, and a general
lack of deliverables....

> Encoding H.264 on linux is a different bowl of fish. Last time I tried it,
> the
> result was - how should I put it? - bizarre. But then, it is, like James
> said, a work in progress. I had a ffmpeg snapshot from August, and it
> couldn't display it at all. Got a snapshot from November, and it did it
> beautifully - except for the audio.

> For now, I use macs for a commercial product. The moment things get right on
> linux, I'll drop macs and use linux boxes in newer deployments.

Amen  bro! I owe you some code. I have not forgotten. I did just get my
elphel 333 so it has captured my imagination and spare cpu_cycles
at the moment. I use DSPs both commercial and homespun_dev_hardware
to encode h.264.  FPGA are on the near horizon.

Andrey has built one hell of a camera, and I'd encourage
anyone serious about video to purchase one of these *bad_boys*.
He's my latest hero when it comes to video!

He has open sourced the hardware and software, so I'll be noodling
around with verilog(VHDL) now, as if I did not have enough things to
eat away my time.

http://www.elphel.com

James