Is there a utility that will allow you to take control of the current Linux
desktop from a remote machine?  This is the way VNC works in windows.  Open
VNC on a remote machine and you see the exact same thing you see on the local
monitor, including any running programs.  Under Linux, however, VNC (at least
the versions I've tried) opens up a new desktop which is separate from the
currently running desktop.  This is a neat and useful tool, but it's not what
I need.  Are there, perhaps, any VNC app which offers this feature under
Linux?  Or some other way to do it?  If it all possible, it needs to be OS
independent (take control of a Linux server frrom a client running on Windows
and vice versa.)