Hi Mark,
on Tuesday, 2005-12-20 at 07:40:42, you wrote:
> > [thin client]
> I'm sure that's possible. I could even use her current Win ME box in
> some sort of dual boot config I suppose. However the reason I didn't
> start with that idea is that I am not there to hand hold her. If she's
> running Gnome how do I ensure that everything is saved on the main
> machine and not the thin client. I fear that this whole path, while
> certainly possible, might cause me too much work. Please remember this
> is a 75 year old lady who has never used Linux. ;-)

I got a Linux box for my mum as well after her Mac died, so I know it's
near impossible to teach some people about folder structures :)
Hoewever, on a thin client that wouldn't be a problem as the only thing
the client does is to provide a "view" to the host. All application
would be running on your machine so they wouldn't even know their
display is being routed to somewhere else where another file system may
be present.
I haven't done it except with a dedicated X-Terminal but it should be
the same procedure for Gentoo as for any other Linux.

regards
        Matthias

--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665