> > > ntop is a good network summary program too. Works good if you can run it
> > > on your default gateway machine. tcpdump is pretty cool for sure.
> >
> > The network is just run from a router.  No server on which I can run
> > that stuff.  Is there anything I can use from my workstation which is
> > connected to the network?
>
> You can run it on your workstation as well and you will see broadcast traffic
> and traffic going to your computer. If you are on a hub, you should see all
> traffic connected to the hub.

> > > You can only use https on servers that support it. The question is too
> > > vague to answer without specifying from who do you want to keep the data
> > > private? Just people on your local network? Your ISP? Your boss? The http
> > > servers?
> >
> > I'm only trying to keep the data private from the other people on the
> > local network.
> >

> Who administrates your router and/or network? What kind of router is it? Are
> you using a swtich? Assuming you have a basic network setup using a simple
> switch and a simple router you would generally be private for outgoing http
> traffic unless there is someone sophisticated enough to be running something
> like ettercap to confuse the switch.

There is just a $50 router.  It's just a network at my housing complex
that everyone connects to.

I remember one of my buddies showed me how he could drive around a
residential area and see what people were doing on their unencrypted
networks as he passed by.  I'd like to protect myself against that
kind of intrusion and also take informational advantage of those that
don't.

> If you have no idea and if you have a remote computer you can connect to for
> browsing (maybe something at your home or elsewhere) you can remote control
> into it (using ssh tunnels for encryption) and then browse privately from
> that machine.
>
> Are you expecting the other hosts on your network to be monitoring your http
> traffic? If there is some suspected method of them monitoring you it may
> require a specific technique to avoid their monitoring.
>
> In any case, where does "gentoo" fall into this whole deal? This is a gentoo
> list.

I'm looking for Gentoo tools.

- Grant