On 29 Dec 2005, at 22:30, Grant wrote:

How is your network connected to the internet?

http://www.google.com/search?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=port+forwarding

The first link looks fairly useful.

Stroller.

That helped a lot.  I have a high-number port on the router forwarding
to one of my systems.  How can I access the forwarded-to service from
a random point on the Internet?  I need something static to represent
my router on the Internet.  I've tried using the IP address that is
used for me externally when I'm browsing but it doesn't work.  I use
cable internet service and I think that IP address is used for many
different customers.

I have heard of ISPs NATting their customers, but I think it would be pretty unusual these days. Does the high-port forwad to port 22 on your PC? Or is the PC listening for ssh? See /etc/ssh/sshd_config for that one.

How are you testing ssh'ing to your external IP address? Doing so from inside the LAN won't work - you're better port-scanning yourself by visiting Shields Up! at http://grc.com

You can get a hostname which will resolve to your dynamic IP at http://dyndns.com - there are some free utilities which you can run to do the updating.

Stroller.