Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
I'm wanting to experiment with some alternative window managers. I've already emerged them, but I'd like to have them available as separate sessions when I log in, and possibly migrate to one of them as default (or only) session available.

I've only used KDE and Gnome in the past, and they are very polished, at least in the aspect that they automatically are added as alternative sessions. I know we have some alternative window manager users around, so I figured this would be the best place to ask how to set these alternative window managers up in Gentoo.

I have a couple of boxen, one that uses gdm and one that uses kdm. It would be nice if the instructions were portable between both of these X login managers, but I'm fairly confident that I can use instructions for either one to set up the other.

For anyone interested in what WMs I'm trying out:
x11-wm/ratpoison
x11-wm/ion3
x11-wm/wmii

I also might try out StumpWM at some point, but I couldn't find an ebuild for it in the current portage tree.

I'm a big fan of both Lisp and GNU-Screen, so these window managers intrigued me.

I wound up in the same kind of mood as you and in my searching any playing I have settled on WindowMaker for some time now, and currently plan to stay.
A bit different in approach and that is what caught my attention.

http://www.windowmaker.org/