On Dec 31, 2005, at 8:26 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:58:17 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:

tar outputs to stdout by default,

Not always.

From man tar

-f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F
 use archive file or device F (default "-", meaning stdin/stdout)

So "-f -" is unnecessary, but harmless.

yes, this is a style question here. I always prefer to be explicit, where I can. Inevitably, in this business, you move on and someone will have to come behind and understand your scripts. when you're looking at a long line embedded in a script, it's SO much easier to debug when the stdout is explicitly listed, than assumed. This also allows for changes in default behavior. Such practices become habit. But you are correct, today this -f - is unnecessary. Tomorrow? who knows what decisions might be made regarding default output. My point is, being precise costs nothing... nothing but a few keystrokes.

--
Neil Bothwick

teG I sdrawkcaB eroM ehT oG I sdrawroF eroM ehT