Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

For real transparency, yes, you need it. If you have enabled GLX and
Composite at once, and run a GLX program, then X will crash. This is
likely the cause of your problems. The difficulty is, for the moment,
you have to sacrifice either GLX if you want to use Composite reliably.
Thanks, Will try today. I am not really sure if I am running any progs that require glx? And for another thing I read somewhare that OO-org 2 has a problem with transparency..

Also do I need xcompmgr or will kompmgr work?

Mike
kompmgr works OK here, but I do find there are some quirks, but I can run GLX programs with kompmgr and nothing crashes.

Ken