On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 13:39 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:21:23 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > I think once we've got to the stage of UK (and AU) vs US spelling, I can
> > invoke "Godwin's Law"[1] hereby ending the discussion completely and
> > immediately ;)
> >
> > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
>
> [quote]
> It is considered poor form to arbitrarily raise such a comparison with
> the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized codicil
> that any such deliberate invocation of Godwin's Law will be unsuccessful.
> [/quote]

[quote]
Godwin developed the law as a counter-meme and began posting it in
Usenet discussions after such a comparison occurred.
[/quote]

I took the spelling of words as being a "good enough" reason to invoke
Godwin's Law, and hence posted it "after the comparison occurred".  I
did not, in fact, raise the comparison of iou to ou just to raise
Godwin's Law, and therefore my invocation should not be unsuccessful.

;)

Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two,
opulence is when you have three -- and paradise is when you have none.
                -- Doug Larson