I've done this lots. I didn't have near the problems
you seem to be having. If you can chroot to /bin/bash
you shouldn't have a problem. But you need pppconfig
in addition to ppp. According to my notes I had to
USE="-unicode" before I could emerge pppconfig. Don't
recall where that came from; you might not have to.
Run pppconfig and fill in the lines. That's all I had
to do. Unless this "PPPoA" thing you mention queers
the deal.

Then edit sudoers for user access -- you're all set.