On 1/16/06, Abhay Kedia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 09:04, Michael Crute wrote:
> >
> > So my question would be, is there a way to make flash mix its sounds
> > in with the other programs on the computer? I know its possible as I
> > have done it before but I can not seem to get it working now. A google
> > search seems to get me nowhere. Any thoughts or a nudge in the right
> > direction would be much appreciated.
> >
> Flash still uses OSS to play sounds, and if you are using ALSA then it is
> using OSS emulation. I don't know how to do it with other browsers but I use
> "aoss firefox" to start firefox. This mixes sounds of Flash pretty well with
> any other sound producing app. I can even hear songs while Flash produces its
> sound in browser.
>
> A point to mention here would be that I am not using esd or any other sound
> daemon. Just plain jane ALSA with dmix.

Thanks Abhay I will give that a try when I get home today. I assume
aoss is part of alsa-utils? (I don't have portage handy to check this
out at the moment)

On the topic of sound servers. Being fairly ignorant about sound on
linux (but willing to learn). Is there a good reason to use a sound
server or am I better off to use ALSA directly? What purpose do sound
servers serve?

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux takes junk and turns it into something useful.
Windows takes something useful and turns it into junk.