habutre . schreef:
> Hi guys!
>
> My problem it's  following: I've a AC97/I82801 sound device building
> as a built-in on my kernel. My sound work a fun, but I can't store
> the sound mixer's without a alsa-utils, then all time that i wanna
> hear a good music, i did should change my volume controls. Then i
> installed a alsa-utils in my PC, but when i installed this package by
>  emerge, my sound don't work. Any error appear, any exception occour,
>  but the sound don't go out. The equalizer it's work, only the sound
> don't go out

OK, I'm very sorry to say I'm having a difficult time understanding
this. So let me first ask if what I've figured out is what you're
actually saying:

1. Your sound device is AC97/I82801, and you're using the kernel ALSA
drivers to run it, but you did not have (at the time) any of the
additional packages installed (such as alsa-utils).

2. Sound worked correctly, but mixer levels were not stored on shutdown
or restored on startup (because you didn't have alsa-utils installed,
which provides a script to do this).

3. You then installed alsa-utils, but now your sound doesn't work.....
this is where I get a bit confused.... there are no errors or
exceptions, but you do not hear any sound. The equalizer (*which*
equalizer??) works, but "sound don't go out" (means, you don't actually
hear anything?)

> Anyone already passed for this problem?
>
> Remembering : my user it's on audio group: audio:!:18:habutre

> my sound device has this permissions: crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 3
> Jan 16 21:58 /dev/sound/dsp

> my sound mixing it's: esound

> my alsa-utils version: 1.0.10

This all looks fine (except for maybe esound, but that's a choice and
doesn't necessarily seem to have a bearing on this problem).

I think the first thing I'd want to know is: have you actually run
alsamixer to set your mixer levels; maybe they're all still muted?;

The second thing I'd want to know is: can you hear anything if you turn
off esd (esound) or set gnome/esd to use ALSA (never quite figured out
how to do that, so I just turned esd off)?

Sorry not to be more help, but I'm not sure you've given all the
information needed to troubleshoot this (since I'm not sure I understand
what the problem actually is).

HTH,
Holly