I'm working on a manual QEMU install (that is, I'm installing from
source downloaded from their website).

There's a reference in their kqemu documentation about setting UDEV
permissions on /dev/kqemu. I initially disregarded this, but now it's
become an issue. It was easily resolved by /manually/ setting
permissions on this device to 0666...

What I'm having difficulty with is finding information on the illusive
/etc/udev/permissions.d directory. According to the kqemu docs, I should
edit the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions and add the
following line to it:

kqemu:root:root:0666

This directory and file don't exist so I created them both and
rebooted--this didn't work to set the permissions and that device.

My question is: How do I set these permissions as explained in Gentoo?

(I've looked for docs for doing this but haven't found anything
referencing this file or setting UDEV permissions.)

Thanks in advance for your help.